03 February, 2013

Neither here nor there


They say that a person at the age of 15 or 16 is a “young adult”, and that it is the point in life when one starts thinking maturely. I wholeheartedly agreed when I was at the age, commending myself for dealing with all the academic, social and adolescent pressure. Later, after a few years in college, my opinion changed, and I decided that the time I had spent in hostel had contributed more to my maturity than my teenage years. But now after seven months of work experience, I realise with a sinking feeling that I am still struggling to be an adult and wondering if I will ever get there. In the transition from school to college, from college to corporate life, I have changed certainly. But have I really grown?

When I look back at the things I saw, heard and talked about back in school and college, the biggest concerns that my peers and I had back then seem now far too trivial for attention – whether a professor’s grudge would cause a dip in my grade, if a certain close friend had changed too much and messed with the dynamics of the clique, obsessing over ways to ask a girl/guy out and the contemplation of facing the consequences that follow, and many other such things. Important as they seemed at the time, once the notions of long term and future come into the picture, I find myself wondering why we spent so much time on them. On the other hand, after being so involved in people’s lives, I have now become a part of an office where I am forced to maintain strictly professional relationships, and sometimes it feels like it wouldn’t hurt to have a bit of all that silly college drama again, to get back some of the surprises and excitement that added a little colour to my life.  I feel caught in the middle of the two worlds, neither here nor there.

Being talkative and amicable by nature, I had my worst nightmare realised in corporate life – not fitting in anywhere. I have always been part of a social jungle, always managed to find a compatible set of friends to form a group with. One thing that hit me hard after joining work was the age diversity around me. All this while, no matter where I went, I could even connect with people who absolutely did not match my wavelength, simply because they were of my age group and that itself brought with it a lot of common ground. But when you see one colleague staying at home because he is still too hungover from last night’s party and another taking the day off to honour a family commitment, and you relate to neither of them, it gets a little unsettling. It can also get very lonely and frustrating at times, after being a part of an aggregation of badly behaved social embarrassments, to be required to maintain decorum and refine every sentence you say.

One thing that was rudely shattered for me was my laughably childish, fairy tale idea of a career. Back in my student days, I could just close my eyes and imagine myself fifteen years in the future and picture myself making a success of myself, and bask in my innocent confidence, certain that I had what it took to get there. But now, it is all a big blur, I had no idea what a job was like, and I certainly had no clue what a career really meant. And in all probability I still don’t, after these seven months. All I do know is that I was driven by short term aims until now - exams and admissions and placements - with no idea of where it would lead me. And now, with my whole life ahead of me, finally in my own hands, I am not sure what to do with it. Now, when I imagine myself fifteen years in the future, I draw a blank. Sometimes it feels like there are too many choices, and sometimes like there are none at all.

I wonder why I am not unhappy with my life, given the sudden flood of uncertainty, change and confusion. Maybe somewhere deep down, that innocent confidence is still working its magic. Or maybe because I still have a few of my old pillars to lean on.  I feel like a little kid again, needing guidance at every step, requiring protection and security from familiar people and waiting to grow up so that I can understand more.  If only I could be as carefree as one!

9 comments:

  1. I guess a lot of people do struggle with these thoughts a lot. I think it would be difficult to find that 'perfect' set of people that you could find in college or school at your workplace. A whole lot of uncertainty voiced out nicely..

    ReplyDelete
  2. ha ha ha! I had a hearty laugh reading the first couple of paragraphs. You do seem to conceive a whole lot in the term 'adult'. hate to break it to you, but age has little to do with maturity ( but i guess this is a lesson you have already learnt). I am surprised that you don't fit in anywhere in your office. You seem to be rather social, based on various updates on FB. But hey, give it time, like family, one doesn't choose colleagues. So start looking at them like family, indulge and be rewarded ;)

    Finally, the kind of growing up that you are talking about, rarely happens. I mean some of us have careers thrust on us by circumstances. some of us go through life with no clear career plan. Some of us make careers vastly different from the one originally envisioned. very few of us plan and pursue and succeed at ONE thing. So chill!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha Sumanya, I am not finding it too hard, just very new and alien to what I'm generally used to! And as for being social, my social skills are not applicable in a workplace because I can be too loose when I get friendly :D At the end of the day, my apartment-mates are my college buddies so I guess I am pretty lucky! And roshu has been pestering me to change the font too! I'll do it now :)

      Delete
  3. oh and here is a suggestion ...you might want to change your comment font....it is not very conducive for reading.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Sumanya: I have repeatedly been telling her about the font issue :D

    Regarding the post, well Im going through pretty much the same scenarios you described, but I guess the transition has been a lot more smoother for me as I am still staying with the same friends in the same city. But overall, a psychological change (not necessarily growth) has certainly occurred.I'm earning for god's sake :D but I try to follow a similar routine to match my college life by regularly playing cricket and visiting my juniors at college and so on. But I had a harsh reality check when I heard two of my close seniors are getting married (very happy for them nonetheless :) ). So ya that opened up a new "future" which I know I certainly do not belong to in the next few years. So that put me in place which is rather "here" than "there".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I look at it that way most of the time too. Just that there are both extremes here so I struggle to find my place sometimes :)it's gonna get wayyy more confusing in a couple of years!

      Delete
  5. There's one thing u forgot about being "adult". All the free advice, "experience" and a false sense of "been there, done that". Cheers...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah, the inherent dichotomy if life. That's the way it is! There is nothing special in the dragon scroll. But then there are no accidents either! So if carefree is something you want to be, just be :)

    Here is a poem I wrote about my understanding of samadhi, I call it (Sum are thee).
    http://talkingthewalk.blogspot.in/2012/08/sum-are-thee-samadhi.html

    Having said all that, I believe advice when unsolicited only 'adds vice'. So perhaps the only way is to figure it out all by yourself. After all if everybody was meant to have the same experience, we wouldn't need everyone, only one .. someone would suffice. Anyways I digress ... a good read Aditi! As always I like how you keep it simple and coherent!

    ReplyDelete